Q: What should I wear and bring with me on Walk day?
A: We urge you to wear the Walk T-shirt provided by the Jimmy Fund. We also recommend that you wear or bring the following items on Walk day:
Please do not bring:
- Sunglasses and sunscreen—even if it's not sunny
- Extra socks (Rather than cotton, try a pair made of wicking material)
- A mini first-aid kit with band-aids and pain relievers
- ID and a small amount of cash and/or credit card
- Cell phone
- Small drawstring bag or fanny pack. Please Note: large bags and backpacks are prohibited along the course.
Q: Do you have a list of hotels near each start location?
- Large backpacks or bags
- Large strollers or carriages (Only collapsible carriages are permitted on buses)
- Inline skates, skateboards, bicycles, scooters, etc.
- Animals/pets (other than service animals)
A: Please review our list of suggested hotel accommodations for each start and the Copley Square Finish Line.
Q: Do you provide transportation to the start lines?
A: Yes! Shuttle buses bring walkers from Boston to the Hopkinton, Wellesley, and Newton starting locations in the morning.
Shuttle buses will also be provided in the afternoon to bring participants back to all starting location parking sites, including Hopkinton, Riverside MBTA Station, Newton, and Dana-Farber.
Please note, buses will not return walkers to Wellesley High School since walkers are not permitted to park at this location.
Q: What time does the Walk start?*
A: Each start location has a starting period:
*Start times subject to change.
- Hopkinton: 5:30 - 7:30 a.m. (rolling start)
- Wellesley: 8:30 - 10:30 a.m. (rolling start)
- Newton: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (rolling start)
- Dana-Farber: Check-in 12:00 - 1:45 p.m. (Official Start - 1:45 p.m.)
Q: What are the hours of the Copley Square Finish Line?
A: The finish line area is officially open from 11:15 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., to make sure that we accommodate all walkers. Those who travel at a more leisurely pace usually finish before 5:00 p.m., so you should have plenty of time to enjoy the festivities in Copley Square before heading home.
Q: Do you have a map of the route?
A: Yes, please check out the Boston Athletic Association course map.
Q: What is available at the refueling stations, and where are they located?
A: Twelve refueling stations are located along the Walk route, and each one has a supply of food, water, and medical support.
Q: Can I run or skate the route?
A: No, running or skating the route is not allowed for safety reasons. We are unable to close the roads on Jimmy Fund Walk day, and the sidewalks get very crowded. Participants have an easier time staying within the designated walking area and out of the way of cars if everyone moves at a similar pace. Refueling Stations are scheduled to open based on the time it takes to walk the route. For similar reasons, skating is only allowed if you are a member of the Inline Club of Boston (ICB). For more information on joining Team ICB on Walk day, please contact us.
Q: Can I bring my pet?
A: With the exception of service animals, no pets are allowed on the course.